The Glen Eira McKinnon Bowls Club was established in 1950 and has grown from the combination of three bowls clubs with rich histories.
The McKinnon Bowls Club founded in 1950 with a membership of about 190 became a very strong club reaching high levels within the Bowls Victoria pennant competitions. Unfortunately, by the 1990’s the membership numbers had dwindled, and they were struggling to continue.
Carnegie Bowls Club which also started about the same time in Leila Road, Ormond was also having membership problems.
City of St Kilda Bowls Club which was based behind Luna Park in St Kilda started in the late 1940’s with one and half greens. In the period 1980 to 1990 they had a growth of members and the club was booming. During this period, the club was winning State Pennant titles and members of the club were representing the State and Australia. At this time many of the members were unable to get a game.
In the second half of the 1990’s the St Kilda Council made it difficult for the club to remain as they had decided the land could be put to better use for the local community.
In 1998 City of St Kilda BC merged with Carnegie BC to become Glen Eira Bowls Club based in Leila Road. There were now two full size greens though the numbers continued to grow, and the club outgrew their facilities. Also, the clubhouse needed a lot of maintenance.
In 2002 McKinnon BC and Glen Eira BC merged, as McKinnon had three greens, a big club house, but a small ageing membership.
The new club grew and had over 300 members and fielded 10 Saturday pennant sides. These sides included successful Premier Division in the men’s competition and Division 1 in the Ladies midweek pennant.